According to the dozen panicked messages in my inbox, we need to have a talk about curse removal, a talk that (apparently) can’t wait another day. So, here it is. Where I will discuss different methods to remove, reverse, and break curses that you’ve cast or that have been cast on you.
A Few Methods of Curse-Removal
- Reversal - The act of sending a curse back to the person who cast it. This is not (I repeat, is not) the method you want if you’re the person who cast the curse.
- Removal - Simply removing a curse from a person. This can be done by the caster, the target, or by a third party.
- Breaking - Satisfying the demands made by the curse-caster in order to have a curse removed—or actually destroying the curse and all of the negative energy from it.
- Trapping - Putting a curse into an object or living thing and removing it from yourself.
A Note Before You Begin
Some curses are written so that they cannot be removed or reversed. If you’re looking for a curse that you will want to remove later, make sure you can find a removal (or write one) before you begin. Alternatively, if you’re the target of a curse that you can’t seem to shake, try to find out what the target’s demands are and meet them. If that’s out of the question, trapping may be your best option.
Say you’ve been the target of a curse and you want to get even. A curse reversal might be just what you’re looking for. There are lots of ways to reverse a curse. Some are written to send the curse back to that person in a multiplied form—most popularly 3-fold or 10-fold. You can write your own reversal in any way that meets your needs.The following is a simple, quick method of reversing a curse.
- Clean up any salt lines and take down any barriers that would prevent a curse from leaving your home.
- Acquire a cheap hand mirror (one that you wouldn’t mind losing). Breathe onto it. As you fog up the mirror, imagine you’re breathing out all of the cursed energy you’ve been carrying around.
- Place the mirror on a window (facing your target’s home, if possible) with the reflective side facing outward. Leave it there overnight to reflect the person’s curse back on them.
- In the morning, remove the mirror from your window and throw it out. If you can, place a black candle in each window (you can do this one window at a time so that no candles are left burning alone) to protect the house and banish any leftover nasty energy.
- Physically clean the house, cleanse, and redo any protections you need to.
- After reversing a curse, I always put a jar of nails at my window to fight off return attacks.
If it helps, you can write a spoke spell to go along with the above. Usually, I find that alone works very well.
Another good way is to make them eat it—which is a little symbolic and literal at the same time. I usually do this with pie, but you could use anything.
- Prepare a meal that you know this person will eat. (Preferably one that they won’t be likely to share.)
- As you prepare it, let each ingredient stand for a part of the curse you want removed, or a bad thing you want to happen to your target.
- Give it to them.
This can also work as a stand-alone curse and (since they’re eating it and therefore willingly accepting it), it’s not so easy to remove or reversal. (Right, now none of you will ever eat my cooking, but moving right along.)
Reader, we’re about to have one of those moments in which you read my writing and then give me a weird look—but here me out. Curse removal is the act of ritually removing a curse. In my family, we do this with dirt.
- Go outside and collect some dirt. (Preferably, loose dry dirt.)
- Bring it into the house and and sprinkle it over the floors. (You can mix it with a curse removing floor-sweep if you like.)
- Take some in your hands and rub them together (as if your were washing your hands). Say something along the lines of, “Soil and mud and earth and dirt, remove the curse that’s caused me hurt.”
- Wash your hands and sweep the floor, sweeping the dirt out the door if possible.
**Even though it sounds crazy, we use dirt because of its negativity-sucking, neutralizing properties. Obviously, you could replace the dirt with anything else you felt these properties in.
Curse-breaking is a removal method that only works if the curse caster has tied a demand to the curse. For example, a curse broken by true love’s kiss. Or one that goes away when you return the Khal’s books to her. And, in order to break a curse, you have to know what the person’s demands are.
The best way to find this out is with divination. Scrying, Tarot, etc are all good tools to understand what a person wants to get out of their curse. If you trust the person, you can just do what is required and get ready to be curse free. If you don’t, you may want to write a spoken spell to go with your action. Something like, “As I meet [full name’s] demands, take this curse off of my hands.” should work.
Similar to the ‘scapecoat’ concept I talked about in part two, trapping a curse is simply directing a curse into another thing to remove it from yourself. I like to direct curses into earthen-clay figures and bury them away from my home.
Removing a Curse That You Have Cast
Some people will tell you that it’s bad luck for a witch to remove their own curse. Some won’t. For myself, I don’t know because I right my curses not to be removable for the most part.
If you’ve changed your mind and want to take away a curse that you’ve cast, try this:
- Light a black candle for cleansing and banishing.
- Find a photo of your once-target and anoint it with olive oil. This will ruin the photo.
- Say, “My fiery anger did not last. Remove the curse that I have cast. Let all ill will and energy flee, and let [target’s name] never suspect me.”
- If you’re looking to avoid bad luck from removing a curse, it’s a good idea to give some small offering (that belonged to you) in exchange for the removal.
- spirithighway likes this
- monstredechirant likes this
- lunar--magick reblogged this from natural-magics
- dragqueenfromhell reblogged this from natural-magics
- nihilistic-void likes this
- dinonaeamuscipula likes this
- jjxx1321 likes this
- awitchywriter likes this
- nettlewildfairy likes this
- plutonianpixie likes this
- kingofflies reblogged this from thelivingwiccan
- luciferandphilosophy likes this
- x-ashleyyy-x likes this
- grimoire-of-stormsorceress reblogged this from novas-grimoire
- livingastheundead reblogged this from cursebook
- echomoonwixcraft reblogged this from gardenofthequeen
- persephonestarr likes this
- nevermind-the-witchcraft likes this
- waywardwanderingson reblogged this from witchcraftings
- spiritualmiscellany reblogged this from cursebook
- arkitechur3 likes this
- alyce-in-bloom likes this
- ruinofeventide likes this
- callofthe-depths reblogged this from witchofradoncanyon
- witchofradoncanyon reblogged this from bookmarkgrimoire
- bookmarkgrimoire reblogged this from versesofcurses
- the-ankh-is-life reblogged this from versesofcurses
- olgazm likes this
- the-hairy-gerkin reblogged this from chagashi
- chagashi reblogged this from versesofcurses
- ladyluck25 likes this
- melekunuh likes this
- nochicrescent likes this
- drakatzen likes this
- unboundwittness likes this
- justsoicanfollow likes this
- spellstorhallalikes reblogged this from anstasiasandtorhallas
- noyoudontunderstandineedpie reblogged this from artist-refs
- mysticalwitchbitch reblogged this from bibliophilicwitch
- little-witchh likes this
- longlivethegayswiftie likes this
- kittythegrimm likes this
- fuzzygalactikitty likes this
- rad-witch reblogged this from coldhearted-icequeen
- theaspiringpagan reblogged this from thelivingwiccan